A lot has been happening over here in the Land of Shanna. Since I’m sure you guys are missing my almost daily lists, here’s something to chew on:
For the first time this week:
1. Have kept a promise to myself. I have read one chapter of “A Course of Weight Loss” every single day for the last 8 days. Marianne Williamson has me doing so much new stuff and I feel like a trillion, yes trillion, bucks.
2. I have used oil on my body willingly. One of the chapters had me rubbing my entire body down with oil. Those of you who know me, know how I feel about oily substances and residue generally. I’m the girl who compulsively washes my hands after using hair products and makeup. I performed this new ritual this morning using Kiehl’s Dry Oil, which I shelled out $30 for hoping it wouldn’t leave me a greasy mess. Best $30 I’ve ever spent.
3. Have written in my journal every day for the past eight days.
4. I have shut off the TV while reading each chapter of the book. Optimal concentration is required.
5. I have used lotion. I hate lotion. I’m learning that I need to take care of my body inside and out as well. Just a dap of my favorite (only) super super super light AHAVA body butter, which is half gel otherwise I wouldn’t be able to stand it. My skin is even more soft than usual. Truth: most common compliment I’ve received from men is how soft my skin is. This ridiculous winter has almost stripped me of my best asset!
6. I have written in my journal the following prayer, thirty times at night and thirty times in the morning per Marianne Williamson: dear God please feed my hunger and restore my right self. This activity has taken a surprising amount of time. Using computers for so many years has slowed my writing process immensely.
7. Ate a single serving of No Pudge Brownie as breakfast (oops).
8. Came to terms with the fact that I’m weird. To quote friends, “wonderfully weird.” I like listening to a lot of music, reading a lot of books/newspapers/blogs, and making ridiculous deserts. I love reading fashion blogs because I like to see how the other half lives. The women who look so put together every day while my hair-do this week has been variations on a messy bun and I’m currently wearing navy and black with dirty rain boots. It’s nice to be reminded how gorgeous I feel in a great outfit.
9. I made my bed every single morning. This is huge. When I was younger I always assumed that once you reach a certain age you suddenly become neat. I apparently haven’t reached that age yet or it doesn’t exist. I’m trying to make my surroundings match how I want to feel. So far so good.
10. I have not ordered cookie or hot chocolate at my favorite hippie cafe all week. If I have to say that prayer all damn day I will. No cookies for me this week!
11. I decided instead of questioning why my friends aren’t more like me, I decided to use our differences to an advantage. I have friends who are experts in everything. It’s sad, but true; I don’t know everything.
12. After watching the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion show I resisted the urge to call my sister at midnight just to tell her I love her. Witnessing the Richards sisters breakdown made me second guess all those times I’ve gone for the jugular with my own sister. When you know someone like the back of your hand, you have the power to cause a lot of pain. A little extra love goes a long way.
13. Last but certainly not least, I had a completely hangover free weekend. It was glorious. Shit, am I growing up?