1. These crazy powerful thunder storms heading our way in the next hour. I would prefer not to show up to the Tribeca Film Festival later looking like I crawled out of a drain.
2. Not losing weight. Doing all this work, attending meetings, working out, and not changing. That thought scares the shit right out of me. I try to keep it at bay, but every once in a while it rears its ugly head.
3. That I’ll never be truly great at anything. I’m a good writer, a good friend, etc. But, the idea of “great” scares me on the regular.
4. Never finding true love. Some anonymous commenter told me that I’d never find love if I didn’t lose weight. It’s something I’ve struggled with ever since. So thank you, anonymous commenter.
5. Really dark allies. I’ve watched far too much Law & Order for my own good.
6. Drowning. Hands down one of my top fears. I love to surf, ironically enough, but I get scared wading in three feet of water in the Hamptons/Fire Island. Go figure.
7. Fire. I’m not a fan of anything super hot or that can disfigure you.
8. Performing on a stage. The last time I was on a proper stage was for Greek Sing in the fall of 2002. We performed songs from Guys and Dolls and I was a good enough dancer to be front row. Jazz hands, everyone. I discovered I was an alright dancer in Club Med when I was 13/14 and the “teen club” (good Lord) performed a Sister Act type number where we wore fishnets under our Nun’s clothes. It was quite risqué` for the audience and apparently my parents were shocked I had any sort of rhythm.
9. Falling down in public. I put this at the bottom of my list because it happens regularly and usually at the worst possible moment when I’m carrying luggage, in formal wear, or with a boy.
What scares y’all?