Unless you're a new reader (and if you are, Hi) you know I love me a mantra. It is a miracle I made it almost 25 years before discovering the power of positive thinking. A miracle, I tell you. I rely on my mantras in times of stress mostly. But, hoo boy, do they help. One of my favorites lately has been "I surrender." I know some of you are rolling your eyes at this hippie shit, but just bear with me. In my professional life, there is a lot of waiting. Waiting to be paid (which is the worst), waiting to hear back from potential new projects. Waiting, waiting, waiting. In my younger, and more foolish, years I would obsess and keep myself up late wracked with worry. Now, I do my best to surrender. Even if I have to repeat the mantra 200 times (and that has happened BTW) eventually the weight is lifted.
It also works in the world of dating. Lord knows, I'm shy, yet a good "you will not throw-up on your date"can work wonders before heading out. I dare you to try it. Double dog dare you. I don't really know where I'm going with this other than to say you do not have to obsess and worry about things you cannot control. There are other options. I look back on all the hours I spent waiting for my phone to buzz with a text or call and I think what a waste. Don't waste another minute. Surrender...and let it all go.
Switching gears, here are some things I'm looking forward to this weekend:
1. Spending the weekend (well, most of it) with two of my absolute favorite people.
2. Sitting on a couch with said favorite people. Couch dwelling was one of my favorite past times in college and I happen to know these two are champions.
3. A long bus ride. Just kidding.
4. The Oscars red carpet. Bring on the ridiculous dresses!
5. Wandering the quaint streets of Philly. I know, I know, Philly is a city, but it is seriously quaint compared to the hustle and bustle of NYC.